Stress is a natural part of life, except maybe if you are a cave-dwelling Tibetan monk. Since you’re reading this, we surmise that you are not a monk, which makes you like the rest of us average humans who can easily get swept away into a sea of stress. What is at the heart of our stress is irrelevant. It could be the latest news on television, or the extra pounds we noticed on the scale this morning. When we stress, we create a systemic response that can do more harm than good.
Stress is associated with cortisol. In small doses, this hormone can keep us alert and safe. However, for many of us, our body is riddled with cortisol on a daily basis. Our worry over what is happening in our life can lead to chronically high cortisol, which can lead to a number of other problems. Some of the common ways that stress shows up on the skin include:
- Fine lines and wrinkles. Isn’t it ironic that the idea of aging could be stressful, and yet stress can accelerate the aging process? Cortisol has been linked to the deterioration of connective tissues, which is the underlying problem beneath fine lines and wrinkles, as well as loose, sagging skin and other cosmetic concerns.
- Acne. High cortisol affects the sebaceous glands, prompting them to excrete more oil. More oil on the skin means accumulation of debris and bacteria, which means clogged pores. Clogged pores equals pimples and blackheads.
- Skin problems like psoriasis, rosacea, and eczema are chronic conditions that, with good care, can be managed. Each can also flare up during times of stress.
Putting your Skin First
There are ways to maintain healthy, attractive skin even in the face of daily stressors. One of the best things we can all learn to do is manage our response to stress, since we cannot avoid it. How you manage stress is up to you to determine. A walk in the park may be better for you than a hot yoga class, so don’t limit your choices for stress relief.
Stressed-out skin can also be pampered by the team at Sahara Medical Institute. In our Las Vegas facility, you may choose skin-boosting treatments such as:
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatments
- Customized chemical peel treatments
We love fostering beautiful skin! Call (702) 823-5010 to consult with us about your aesthetic goals.